What would you do if your home was destroyed by a fire, or one of your water pipes burst while you were on vacation, or a burglar stole valuable items from your home?
You can’t prepare for everything but planning for the unexpected when dealing with property claims could make these situations easier to handle.
Below are some things to consider before a loss happens:
- Take photographs with a phone camera to document ownership of items.
- Walk room by room, making notes of items. Don’t forget things like artwork, bedding, and clothing.
- Prepare an inventory list of your property throughout your home.
- Make sure you record high-value items such as antiques, guns, and jewelry.
- Don’t forget storage sheds and your garage for contents you may have outside of the home.
If you suffer a loss, below is a checklist of things to do to make the claim go more efficiently:
- Notify us immediately at Benton White Insurance. We’re here to help!
- Protect your property from further damage.
- Create an inventory of damaged or destroyed items.
- Keep your inventory cataloged by room. This way you’ll be less likely to forget something.
- Fully describe each damaged item, including quantity, age, brand, model and serial number, if available.
- Submit completed inventory forms to your claim adjuster when they ask for them as soon as possible.
- Save all receipts for items you replaced and number each to correspond with your inventory.
Dealing with a loss can be emotional and time-consuming. It is our agency’s goal to provide excellent claims service. By using these tips, you will be better prepared for the unexpected and know what to do if a loss occurs.
Great companies, great service and nearly 50 years of combined insurance experience makes us one of the top agencies in this area. We’re ready to help you with your insurance!
Feel free to EMAIL us at info@BentonWhite.com or TEXT or CALL – 615.377.1212. We’re always ready to earn your business!
If you own a house, homeowner’s insurance is a necessity. Not only do you need it to protect your home and possessions against damage and theft, your mortgage lender will also require that you carry it if you have a loan on your home. It’s not enough to simply have coverage, you need to have the right coverage. We ALWAYS suggest that it is a good time to review your policy is when it comes up for renewal annually. Of course, we do it for you here at Benton White Insurance. Insurance companies...
We insure a lot of SUV’s and as you may know, some vehicle companies are only going to make SUV’s in the future as they stop manufacturing private passenger vehicles from their factory lines. Safety is always a concern when one purchases a vehicle. That's why, when the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released their 2018 SUV safety tests, it caught a lot of people’s attention. Many were surprised that two of the most popular midsize SUVs in the U.S. were given a "poor" rating in the...
Two former burglars have shared their tips on how to best protect your home from intruders. The ex-criminals, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, revealed these steps all homeowners can take to secure their property, particularly before heading off on their vacation. Some focus on ways to make your home look less appealing to potential intruders, including installing fake burglar alarms and security cameras outside. Others offer tips to safeguard yourself against becoming a target in the first...